Is This Normal?Sun, Nov 11th 2012
We are grandparents that have raised our 11 yr old since birth. She has just started the 6th grade and the level of rudeness and the disrespect has increased to the point of not even enjoying being around her anymore. The smallest thing will set her off and I'm tired of always biting my lip to keep from screaming at her and I feel like I'm always walking on egg shells. Whenever she talks to me her tone is hateful. She has an attitude with my hubsband but it is nothing like what I go through.
Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? How can I improve my steadily declining relationship with my 11 yr old. I'm afraid it's only going to get worse.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.