Does a therapist have to report me as suicidal if I tell her I self injure?
I'm a 27-year-old woman who has struggled with self-injury (cutting, burning) since early childhood, when I experienced physical, mental and sexual abuse. I desperately want to seek help for myself, but I have some concerns. If I speak to a therapist about my self-harming, will s/he be obligated to report my self-injury in the same way as s/he would be obligated to report issues related to suicide? I have attempted suicide in the past (5-6 years ago) and while I'm depressed and struggle with anxiety, I have no plans to attempt suicide. I'm just concerned that all of these factors together will result in any therapist I work with wanting to hospitalize me. If that's the help I need then I'm guardedly open to it, but obviously I'd rather not go that route if it's not necessary. What are a therapist's obligation regarding reporting a clients' problems with self-injury? I know you can't answer every question.. but please, I'm pretty much begging you to answer this one. I'm afraid and I don't know what to do. Thank you.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.