top of page


1.   I heard the services were free. Is that true?
The Mental Health Center's services are not free.  However, fees for Center services are discounted based on family income and number of dependents.  Payments from third party payers are accepted.

2.    Will the Mental Health Center take my insurance?
The Mental Health Center accepts all types of insurance.  However, it depends on your individual policy whether your insurance will cover the services the Mental Health Center offers.  We will be glad to contact your insurance company for you regarding your coverage.

3.    What hours are you open?
The Mental Health Center has a toll free number that may be called 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for emergencies 1-(800)-239-2901.  Each of the Center's outpatient offices are open Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m.

4.    How do I enroll a family member in Intellectual Disabilities Services?
For information on enrolling a family member in Intellectual Disabilities Services, please refer to the following web sites:

5.    What do I do if I need to speak to my doctor or therapist after hours?
To access your therapist or doctor after hours, you will need to call West Alabama Mental Center 24-hour access to care number; which is 1-800-239-2901.  A qualified crisis professional will return your call within thirty minutes.  If you need to speak to a therapist, this will be arranged.

6.    How can I get my family member in a group home?
Group home space is limited, but you can enroll your family member in West Alabama Mental Health services at any of our outpatient offices.  This is the first step to mental illness group home placement.  If the consumer is diagnostically qualified for a mental illness group home and they wish to live there, a referral will be made to that group home.  If a bed is available, the consumer will be admitted, otherwise the consumer will be placed on a waiting list on a first come-first serve basis.  A primary diagnosis of a severe mental illness is required to go into a mental illness group home.  These include schizophrenia, major depression, and bi-polar disorder and some others.  The person cannot have a primary diagnosis of intellectual disabilities , substance abuse, or brain damage and be admitted to a mental illness group home.

7.    Do you have an inpatient facility for alcohol and drugs?
No, but we do provide outpatient services and can assist with a referral for inpatient when indicated.

8.    Does West Alabama Mental Health Center test children?
Psychological testing is provided by West Alabama Mental Health Center on a limited basis for children at each of our outpatient offices.  We provide screening for attention-deficit disorder, depression, bi-polar disorder, and other childhood mental illnesses.  Psychological testing such as intelligence testing is provided on an as-needed basis by appointment by qualified professionals employed by the center.  You may always ask your child\'s therapist about testing you may feel your child needs.

9.    Does West Alabama Mental Health assist with helping families with child support payment issues?
No, you should contact the Department of Human Resources in the county where you live for assistance.

10.    Who do I contact regarding the mistreatment or abuse of a child?
The Department of Human Resources in the county where you live.

11.    At what age is a consumer's treatment confidential from family members?
At age 14 a child may refuse to allow his/her parents access to his/her treatment information. Every effort is made by clinical staff to have the adolescent involve their parent or guardian in their care via a signed release from the consumer.

12.    If one parent has custody, what are the rights of the other parent regarding access to a child's treatment information?
The parent with custody is responsible for determining who has access to the information, including whether a non-custodial parent has access.  We do require the legal documents be presented for verification of custody.

bottom of page